Tuesday, November 11, 2008

City Center

On Sunday evening we went down to the city center. It's a happening place where we can do a lot of people watching and find some deals. Immediately after stepping off the bus we knew something funny was going on. There were approx. 5,000 fully uniformed policemen with masks & shields, and several of these...Turns out there was a planned protest by Turkish university students. There was some music, chanting, and waving of flags. And that's about it. And the police lost a bit of their scary image when one came up to us (gun and baton in tow) and kissed Eli on the cheek. I know...bizarre...but it's their culture.
Below are pics just to give you a feel for the streets in the city center.

We went into a bulk spice store (common here) and I got scoops of cayenne pepper, cumin, and oregano for approx. $2.50 total. Sweet. I'm going to make some chili with my ground beef that I'm told might taste a little "lamb-ee."





No comments: