Since we were hosting a dinner this weekend, I needed groceries. Lots of groceries. As mentioned in a previous post, there are only little markets around us. The big, fully stocked grocery stores are in the bottom of the shopping malls, and they require a bus to and a taxi from (as it is just insane to get on the bus with more than 3 bags). This isn't just my situation, but 90% of the population are in a similar situation. 90% of the population are without cars and either use public transportation or travel only as far as their little legs will carry them. And that is why EVERYONE in Turkey DELIVERS! Yes, this weekend I went online and ordered groceries from a large supermarket here. About 4 hours later (scheduled delivery time) a nice man showed up at my door with all of my groceries (eggs even in tact). And how much extra did this delivery luxury cost??? NOTHING. If you order a certain amount (approx. $50...and who doesn't spend $50 when they go to the grocery store?!?) the delivery is free. Now THAT is service!!
This was the only item I was unsure of. It translated as "celery" in my dictionary. It smelled like celery...it tasted like celery...but it sure didn't look like celery.
3 comments:
I really want someone to deliver groceries to me. And I only shop for 2. And the big grocery store is only a block away. Thank GOD American's don't have this. We'd be even fatter.
I was checking out my "stat counter" on my blog which tells me where in the world people are that look at my blog (you should TOTALLY get this. Sooo cool and FREE). I saw that I had a lot of visits from Turkey and was really surprised...then it hit me. Oh yeah, we know people there!
We will miss you all so much at our wedding. We know you will be there in spirit but really wish we had the "in person" visit too. You'll see plenty of pictures and hopefully the video (if not "live" then later) but we know it won't be the same for either of us.
Blessings on your work. YOu're in our prayers and we love you!
oh. that is celery root. or sometimes called celeriac. you are supposed to eat the root part. you can eat it raw, cut into pieces. or you can cook it (bake it like any other root vegetable, and then mash it with salt and butter; or you can put it into soup).
erin alter
Wow, that would be nice! No more Wal-Mart! :)
The celery or whatever looks interesting.
Morgan
(And by the way, just for the record, we check your blog at least once a day. :))
Post a Comment