Monday, January 11, 2010
Being Neighborly: The Follow-Up
A week or so ago I posted about "Being Neighborly" and the Turkish tradition of taking a bowl of soup, dessert, etc. to neighbors. After my plates of cookies went out I had three neighbors return my plates along with food in their own dishes, leaving me to return their dishes filled with something else. For several days I mulled over the question "What should I fill these bowls with?" I didn't want to return them with Turkish soup...because I thought that would only highlight the fact that my Turkish cooking leaves much to be desired. I decided against American soup (even though I made a great Southwestern Chicken Corn Chowder) because our soups are very different from their style of soups and I didn't want to send anything that could be viewed as "weird." I finally chose a good old American dessert: Apple Crisp. I felt like Apple Crisp was a pretty safe bet; the apples and the oats make it seems somewhat healthy, and the sugar and cinammon make it oh-so-tasty. I took piping hot bowls of it to the respective bowl-owning neighbors last night just before dinner time (well, their dinner time. We're still 5:30pm-ish eaters. Many Turks don't eat until between 7-8). I took them in proper Turkish fashion; just carrying the open bowl (no covering) in my hands to the door. And, I haven't had any complainers.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment