Tuesday, February 23, 2010

City Life

Many of the poor people in Ankara sit on the sidewalks and sell individual packets of tissues. I don't know why it's such a popular thing to sell but on a short walk through a busy part of the city you can pass at least 2 - 3 tissue peddlers. There are also quite a few female gypsies that stand in the intersections and beg. I don't know much about them except that they are immediately recognizable; their clothes and head scarves are much different than the average Turk. They also typically have sad-looking (and freezing cold) babies strapped to their backs (someday I'll post a picture). Anyway, the point of all this description is to tell you how accustomed to city life Eli already is. Today, we were stopped in an intersection and a gypsy came and put her face right up into the driver side window. Zach shook his head "no" and as the woman moved on to the next car Eli said in the most sincere tone, "I guess we don't need any tissues."

1 comment: