
Okay, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but there was bumping and shoving involved.
You see, there is this awesome little German store here named TCHIBO (I pronounce it "CHEE-BO" and I'm sure that would make most Germans cringe). The store itself is about the same size as a Claire's boutique in the States, but the character of the store is much much greater. They have one constant product (gourmet coffe) but then everything else in the store completely changes every week. Last week it was beach attire. This week it's picnic gear. Next week it's lingere and pajamas. I think their buyer must have A.D.D.
I saw in last week's catalogue that popsicle molds would be in stores today. I have been looking all over for popsicle molds and have been unable to find them. I think it may have something to do with Turkish peoples' aversion to cold things (cold juice, air conditioner, ice drinks, etc.). So I was a little excited when I saw the Germans would be helping me make this beloved summer treat. Now I know...I know... one doesn't need fancy molds to make popsicles. Eli and I have been making "poor man's" popsicles for several weeks now (plastic cup w/ a popsicle stick stuck through foil)but the finished product is always awkward and crooked and difficult for an almost-three-year-old to handle. We consider actual popsicle molds to be a luxury.
The popsicle molds hit the stores this morning and I was on a mission to get some. I'm no fool...I know that TCHIBO gets a rush of people every week when the new products come out, and today was no exception. I was standing with approx. 50 other people outside the store's door before they even opened at 10am.
Now, let me interject here that a LINE in Turkey does not mean the same thing as a LINE in the U.S. From my experience, Turks perceive lines as somewhat meaningless things. What really counts is who can get their body closest to the actual register, product, door, etc. This is true for government buildings, buses, driving, and even grocery stores. I keep telling myself "this isn't a bad cultural thing, just a DIFERENT cultural thing."
So, at 10am the mechanical door slowly slid open and the store was immediately taken over by determined ladies who were not going to let anyone get in between them and the products they were stalking from the previous weeks' catalogue. And let me tell you...I was not going to leave that store without popsicle molds...so I joined right in! At 8 months pregnant, I bumped and shoved my way to the shelves and can now say that I'm the proud owner of some high class popsicle molds. Such accomplishment for one day.
Picture of the actual product to follow...
2 comments:
How interesting that lines don't mean anything there?! Way to get your popsicle molds!! Enjoy your summer treat! :)
Ha, that's hilarious!!! Wish I would have known...I would have been HAPPY to send you our extra one! So glad that God gave you your hearts desire!!!
Leaving tomorrow with Sandy, Kim (and maybe Jill ?) on the JOY FM Joy Ride to Nashville, TN with my sister...praying for a fun and safe trip.
Love to you!
Post a Comment