Wednesday, July 7, 2010

3rd Birthday

Our little guy turned 3 years old on July 6th. We had a little party at his school and admittedly, I was way more into it than he was. In fact, he cried a bit and really didn't have a good time. It was sort of my motherly attempt to make him feel like he really fits in. My mom and I made Curious George cupcakes and the kids were certainly curious about them! They're not used to having cupcakes (read: eating with their hands) and I don't think they'd ever seen little toys on their sweets before (the monkey heads are actually rings). But I was happy to show them a little "American culture."  
This says "Happy Birthday Eli, 4 years." Several months ago I posted about the difference in counting age here. I put 3 candles on his cupcakes but apparently they consider him starting the 4th year of life (because he was 1 when he came out of the womb?!?).
He also had a great time opening presents at home. He spotted a trumpet in a store about 3 weeks ago and has NOT stopped talking about it since. Grammy and Grandpa Sommermeyer sent money for it and he was SOO excited to open it. Thankfully, in terms of toy trumpets, it's not very loud. :) As you can see in the next picture he's already been playing his trumpet for his brother.
Another favorite present was the Buzz Light Year bubble blower from his "Ah-bees" (Turkish older brothers).
Zach took Eli and his "Ah-bees" bowling for his birthday too. Good thing I wasn't there because I would have been worried about broken toes if I had seen this.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

First comment: Those cupcakes are adorable. Are those Runts candy?! I would eat any leftovers you might have.

Second: Andy was disappointed it was a trumpet and not a vuvuzela.

Can't wait to meet your mom!

said...

The year thing makes sense. When you're born you are starting your first year. When you turn 1, you're starting your second year...etc. So, now that he has turned 3 (ie, finished his 3rd year), he's starting his 4th year. We look backwards, they look forwards.