Wednesday, July 14, 2010

He's Arrived!


Noah Grant Sommermeyer arrived this morning, July 13th, at 5:20a.m. He was 8lbs 2.5oz, and had a head size of 14.2 inches. They didn't give us a length because they said it's unhealthy for the baby to be stretched out like that. Hmm..maybe that's why we're all a little on the quirky side?!?

If you're into birth stories (which I totally am), and are interested in some more of the differences in my Turkish birth experience then read on. I promise to go light on the icky birth details:)

I went to the doctor yesterday at 40 weeks 1 day pregnant and while I was fairly desperate to get things moving since my mother has to leave early this coming Sunday, I also wanted to keep things as natural as possible. My doctor did a few things to help naturally kick start the labor and sent me home. Zach and I then went out and walked 3 miles in the 97 degree weather (I'm not sure if that was smart or not?!?). The walk, combined with what the doctor did, got my contractions going and they continued off and on all night. I snoozed and recorded contractions, snoozed and recorded contractions and at 3am called the doctor to say that it was time to go to the hospital. We arrived at the hospital at 3:24a.m. and by that time I was having strong contractions every 2-3 minutes.  My doctor, a cute little trendy lady wearing a sundress, arrived just a few short minutes after us. She checked me and I was 5cm dialated, but things were progressing very quickly. I labored another hour with some of the most intense pain of my life (how could I have possibly forgotten how much pain it really is?!?) and then I told the nurse/midwife who was taking care of me that it was time to push. Now, this lady, bless her heart, was trying so hard to do her job well and was speaking English to me. That's a good thing because the last thing that I could have tolerated in that moment of delirous pain was having to speak Turkish. But, after I told her to get the doctor because it was time to push she said, "Ok, but first let me ask you a few questions. 1. What is your height and weight? 2. What is your blood type? 3. Do you have any allergies?"  REALLY!?!?  Really. After 10 minutes or so of questions she finally got the doctor for the delivery. Sure enough, that hour got me to 10cm dialated but my water still hadn't broken. The doctor broke it and I immediately began the pushing phase. Meanwhile, 2 other nurses and a pediatrician started milling around the room. The nurses asked Zach for the babies' clothes and they began prepping the area where they would check and dress the baby. Noah was born 30 mins. later.

I held Noah immediately and Zach cut the umbilical cord, per our request. The pediatrician then began the process of weighing and measuring him (except the length, remember) and the nurses wiped him down. They then put almost every single article of clothing that Zach handed over to them on him. A onsie, a sleeper, socks OVER the sleeper, mitts, hat, and a fleece blanket. They wanted him to be extra warm. I was then asked to change from my hospital gown into my own nightgown, and we were wheeled off to the recovery room. THAT'S WHEN THINGS GOT FRUSTRATING/FUNNY.

The recovery room was just as nice as the labor/delivery room. There was already a big blue sign hanging outside of our room that said, "Hoşgeldin bebek" = "Welcome baby." The recovery room was HOT (like "sweat pouring down my face" HOT) so I asked Zach to switch on the air conditioning. If you've followed my blog for any time at all you'll know that many Turks are funny about air conditioning. They believe it makes people sick (which begs the question why was it in the room in the first place?!?). Anyway, it wasn't working totally properly so we had a maintenance man come in and fix it.  Ahhh..finally cool air on me...and a little on my newborn who was dressed for the Arctic. To my amazement, when a nurse came in to check on us she TURNED OFF THE AC. So, again, I was dying of heat and had Zach turn it back on. The same nurse came in about an hour later and AGAIN TURNED OFF THE AC. "But I'm really hot," I said to her in Turkish.  "But it's very bad for your baby. It will make him sick." she replied. I didn't argue, I just had Zach turn it back on after she left. THE THIRD time this nurse came in to find the AC on and she got a bit huffy with me. "It's BAD for your baby," she said. "Please just turn it down a little bit then because really I'm so hot," I begged. She reluctantly complied. Just FYI it was 97 degrees out yesterday. Okay, moving on...we were brought a big glass decanter of red "mystery" juice with about 10 paper cups. I'm not sure if it's a traditional thing to have after a baby or not, but it was like warm cinnamon kool-aid. Eli loved it. Much of the rest of our stay was very similar to our experience in the U.S., with the exception of RANDOM STRANGERS coming into the room to look at our baby. Yes, we had two ladies come in to look at the "foreign boy." We were in the middle of filling out paperwork with some hospital staff at the time so we kept a close eye on them, but didn't say anything.

We were released after 24 hours and eagerly went home to be in the AC. We're resting and trying to function as a family of four. Many more pictures will come soon.

  

7 comments:

Mandi Will said...

Oh, thank you so much for sharing. We are rejoicing and showing Noah off to everyone here at JOY FM. We love you!

Mandi Will said...

Oh, thank you so much for sharing. We are rejoicing and showing Noah off to everyone here at JOY FM. We love you!

Jono and Janice said...

What a story! I remember the "overdressing" from Silas. You did well. Enjoy this time to get to know each other and REST! Lots of love and prayers. The Barnhoorns

Sarah said...

Congratulations!

baby havin babies said...

at long last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
congrats congrats congrats!
praying for you guys.
and way to blog so soon after The Arrival.
you are amazing

It Couldn't Be Better said...

So happy for you all, Erika! Congratulations and thank you for sharing your birth story. I'm like you---I love to hear others' stories. Have fun with your babies and stay cool! :)

The Moser Fam... said...

The heat was on in your room when it was 90 something outside?! Oh you poor thing! I would have gone mad! I'm glad you are home in your air conditioning. Noah is a doll and I love the picture in the next post of him laying on your chest and you looking worn out but happy. So happy for you guys!! :)