Friday, February 25, 2011

Good Eats

Remember in my last post I said that Turks in general have the reputation of 1. having immaculate houses and 2. being able to whip up enough food to feed an army? Well, I have proof that it's true.

We have a wonderful Turkish woman staying with us for a couple of weeks while she's teaching a course in Ankara. Admittedly, I was originally nervous about hosting a Turkish woman because, let's face it, sometimes other women can be our biggest critics. I knew it was likely that over a two week stay another woman would figure out that I only do my hair and make-up if I'm leaving the house, I often go to bed without sweeping the kitchen, and little drops of pee can regularly be found scattered in our main bathroom thanks to my 3-year-old who has bad aim. Basically, she'd find out that I'm not June Cleaver.

Well, this woman has totally cured me of that worry! She's kind, encouraging, laid-back, and has two boys of her own back in Istanbul. She could care less if I walk around with puffy eyes and crazy hair.  

She has, however, proven the clean/ great cook theory to be true.

Last night, I went to get my hair cut while she stayed and cooked dinner, per her request (hmm...maybe she's not really okay with my crazy hair). When I arrived home an hour later she had cooked up an amazing feast, all from scratch. 
What did we dine on? Stuffed Eggplant (baked eggplant with ground beef, peppers, and tomatoes), Rice Pilav (rice made with vermicelli noodles), Börek (a non-sweet pastry filled with meat and cheese), and a yogurt dish (plain yogurt with garlic and cucumbers). She also brought home baklava for dessert. The most shocking part of it was that my whole kitchen was clean, too! How is all that even possible in an hour? 

AND what would a post be without a few pictures of my lovely kiddos. Noah's personality is really starting to come out and he. is. a. ham. I love it!
And, Eli in a castle made from tea tables and pillows

2 comments:

said...

Based on the few times I've met him, Zach is a big ham himself so the apple didn't fall far from the tree on that one!! ;)

Unknown said...

That is amazing!! I need some lessons from your friend. It takes me all day to cook and meal and get it cleaned up while watching children.