Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Dumped On

Several days a week, my husband graciously takes the city bus to Hacettepe University (where he's doing research) and leaves me with the car so that I can go out with the boys. Yesterday was one of those days. Yesterday was also the day that it snowed like mad here in Ankara.

Zach called just after 5pm to say that he was leaving the university and things looked bad so he didn't know what time he'd be home. He called again at 5:30pm to say that he had made it to the city center but choas had insued. There were no buses, dolmuşes (mini bus), or taxis to be found. Actually, that's not right...there were no running buses, dolmuşes, or taxis to be found. There were plenty of them abandoned and stuck in the snow. Hundreds of vehicle-less people were standing in a snow storm in the city center trying to figure out how to get home. 

Since we live in a very hilly area and many of the main roads were shut down, it was not an option for me to put the boys in the car and head out to get him. So, Zach did the only thing he knew to do. He walked. And walked. And walked. 4 miles and 1 ruined pair of dress shoes later, he found a lone taxi driver who agreed to take him as close to our house as he could. 

He arrived just before 8pm. 
    
Here is our neighborhood.
And here is Eli on our terrace.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! And here it was 60' yesterday! (But we are supposed to have snow flurries later on this week.) Wow.

Morgan

P.S
I LOVE WordPress as a blog host--but maybe soccer fans have something against them too. ;)

amy r. said...

Wow. I'll bet Eli is loving that snow! So how many feet is that?

The Sommermeyers said...

Morgan,I have thought about switching over to WordPress if this stops working again.

Amy, Eli is having a BLAST!! I have a hard time getting him back inside. It's about two feet.

Kim said...

All I can say is WOW and "poor" Zach...I know ruined dress shoes probably is equivelent to "COLD" feet while walking that long and far. Thankful God kept him safe!

Anonymous said...

Too bad snow boots are still in Indiana!