Monday, March 7, 2011

More Good Eats

**Before I begin my post I must apologize for my lack of blogging this past week. The Turkish government has put a block on all blogs that end in blogspot.com. I'm told it has to do with football (us Americans call it "soccer") fans and copyright issues. I don't know if that's true or not. Due to the block I've been unable to access my blog (or even read anyone else's) for several days. I've just now found a way around the block but I'm not certain it will work the next time I try to log on.**

Our Turkish guest left this past weekend. Before she took off she wanted to cook us one last meal. Before I came to Turkey I would have never tried some of these food combinations, however, I've grown to appreciate the style and flavors of Turkish foods.

Winter Soup - much like a stew it has broccoli, cauliflower, leeks, carrots, mushrooms, chicken, etc.

Yogurt with Carrots - exactly as the name suggests this is plain yogurt mixed with shredded carrots and a bit of garlic

Baked potato wedges

A variety of store bought breads

This is spinach sauteed with onions and mushrooms, and then combined with fried eggs.

For dessert we had homemade Apple Tarts with, of course, black tea. 

The Turks have these wonderful cultural sayings at meal times. To the cook of a homemade meal people say, "Elinize sağlık" (pronounced El-lynn-eez-eh sahl-lick) which means "Health to your hands". The cook always then replies, "Affiyet olsun" (pronounced Off-fee-yet Ohl-soon) which means "May it be healthy".  

No comments: