Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Where in the World???

I genuinely enjoy learning about other cultures (which is a good thing considering my current foreign residence). And, not to toot my own horn, but I've traveled enough to know a little bit about a lot of places. Tonight, however, I learned some things about a place that I've never heard of. Like, never. heard. of.

For the next ten days we've got a guest from the Faroe Islands. Yep, the Faroe Islands. Raise your hand if you can tell me where they are located without Googling them.  Yeah, that's what I thought. I didn't know either.

The Faroe Islands are a group of 18 islands located about halway between Norway and Iceland. There are less than 50,000 people living in the Faroe Islands, and while they are part of the Kingdom of Denmark, they speak their own language (Faroese).

While getting to know our Faroese guest at dinner tonight I heard several funny/interesting statments and questions:

Guest: So can you get most everything you want in Ankara?
Zach: Yeah, there's not really a whole lot that we can't get here, except good Mexican food.
Guest: What about whale meat?

Guest: There isn't even one McDonald's in my whole country. No Starbuck's either. I've never had Starbuck's.
(That's not a funny statement to me. I just find it interesting that there is actually a country that McDonald's hasn't found it's way to yet).

Me: Would you like a chocolate cupcake?
Guest: (excitedly) Yes!
Me: Have you ever had a cupcake before?
Guest: No
Me: Well then I better tell you that there is paper on the bottom and you have to peel it off first.
Guest: Oh yeah, thanks for telling me that. Otherwise I would have eaten it.
     

3 comments:

Grant said...

Interesting place. I have been oddly interested in a place near there that I'm sure few have heard of called Svalbard! Similar to the islands in many ways...esp whale meant!

Anonymous said...

Funny about the cupcake wrapper!! (And whale meat.) I wonder if I'm an oddity since I've never had Starbuck's either? ;)

Morgan

The Sommermeyers said...

Grant, that doesn't surprise me. You always seem to have random trivia/knowledge up your sleeve.

Morgan, not having Starbucks doesn't make you an oddity since many people don't like coffee or overpriced coffee. Now, if you'd never eaten McDonald's though, I'd start to question whether you were really American or not :)