It's been a long time coming this year, but the summer fruits are finally at the pazar (outdoor bazaar) and markets. Unlike the U.S., Turkey doesn't import many fruits and vegetables. Most things are grown locally and therefore many things are only available for a few short months each year, depending on the weather. We've been waiting with anticipation for things like peaches, blackberries, cherries, melons, and strawberries to arrive. Anything besides boring ole' apples and oranges. We'll eat them up like crazy and then in another two months or so they'll be done for the year.
A few of our favorite things are just not available here or are sooooo expensive it's not worth buying them: blueberries (nada), raspberries (I've only seen once or twice), limes (so expensive it hurts), sweet corn on the cob (only frozen, slightly soggy stuff), etc.
But, I refuse to dwell on those things. Today, I will focus on the here and now. Today, I will focus on a big, juicy, bowl of cherries.

*If you're new to this blog, here's a story from spring 2009 declaring my love for, and mishap with, cherries.


3 comments:
Ohhh, eat some cherries for us! We love them so and can NOT get them here. Maybe I should start a cherry tree....
Janice, I know, we would love to do a blueberry bush, but don't know how to get that through customs :) I suppose you could get seeds for a cherry tree but you'd have to be there a LONG time to get your cherries.
Wow your new camera really makes a difference in the pictures!. Mom
Post a Comment