Friday, July 1, 2011

Here Comes the Bride

This is the season for weddings in Turkey and I really enjoy watching how things unfold during this portion of culture. Today, just after Noah woke up from his afternoon nap, I heard multiple cars honking their horns, followed by loud drumming. I knew exactly what was happening, so I grabbed the video camera and headed out to my balcony. 

Let me set the scene: The groom arrives at the bride's house/apartment followed by a caravan of honking horns. He and other family members climb out of their cars, along with a drummer and a sipsi (traditional Turkish wind instrument) player. The groom and family go into the house to get the bride. The instrumentalists remain outside, all the while playing and waiting for the party to exit. That's where the video picks up...
If you're having trouble viewing this video, you may view it on YouTube at: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQRuO_oAV_g 



From here they get in a decorated car, head to the wedding hall, where they sign their legal documents in the company of many witnesses, and then they have a party. 

1 comment:

Kim said...

WOW - that's different!!! Bummer - I couldn't get the video to work...I'll try to remember to come back later to check it out.