I got my first Turkish haircut today. I have heard stories of barbers here lighting q-tips on fire and then burning ear and nose hairs, so I was a bit nervous going in. The experience started with me using a phrase book to ask for a haircut, shampoo, and blow-dry, and "not too short". The process started the same as a typical U.S. haircut with toilet paper around the neck and an apron on top. He (barbers/hairstylists here are always men) did the whole cut with scissors, no clippers, except for trimming. I then had to lean forward over a bowl for a shampoo. After that was done, he grabbed a bottle of perfume-ish stuff and started massaging it into my hair. Then he leaned my head back and used the stuff to massage my forehead and face. It was pretty nice until the massage turned to light slapping on the middle of my forehead. I thought it was to wake me up, but he kept doing it even though I opened my eyes. He then gave me an upper back and neck massage, and then blew dry my hair.
I know, I know...sounds a little fruity with the massage and all, but this is the typical $5 Turkish haircut. I'm just thankful there wasn't any flaming q-tip involved. Unless I would not get burned, then it would be pretty cool.
Working in nursing homes the past 4 years before moving here, I've seen some prime examples of laziness. Today I found a new one. Most apartments here have stores, restaurants, or offices on the first floor. Ours has a medical and chiropractic office. Walking home today I saw a woman on the top floor of her building lowering a basket and shouting to the shop owner what to put in it, so she wouldn't have to walk down the 3 flights to shop on her own.
If only we lived above a Buffalo Wild Wings...
No comments:
Post a Comment