Monday, November 17, 2008

Random pics and more observations

Eli is fascinated by our water bottles. Today I found him trying to fill this loaf pan.
aaahhh...I love when this happens!
Observations:
1. There are no grocery baggers in Turkey. I bag my own groceries and I'm totally cool with that...except...I cannot for the life of me figure out how to bag them fast enough!! I'm always still bagging my groceries while the clerk is checking out the next person and piling their items on top of mine. I get many annoyed stares during this process, and I look like a frazzled idiot trying to shove items in bags. I think I may have to practice bagging at home.
2. Many things seem to take longer than in the States. A normal dry cycle for a load of cottons in the dryer takes 1 hour and 53 minutes! I'm not making this up....there is a digital timer on the dryer. And often, after the 1 hour and 53 minutes is up, I have to put it back on for an additional 20 minutes. I'm not complaining though, because 99% of the country hang their clothes outside to dry.
3. When you go to a Turkish person's house he/she doesn't offer you coke or lemonade or water....he/she offers you hot tea or coffee. Following any meal in a restaurant the waiter will ask if you want hot tea. And, in the last three weeks we've become "hot tea sort of people" drinking it throughout the day.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey - Chinese driers have a 'warm up' and 'cool down' cycle built in to their drying cycles. Some of my friends have found that if they reset the drier half way through, things are dry MUCH faster. Maybe Turkish driers speak Chinese?

Good luck - and thanks for the updates - I'm LOVING the glimpse of Turkey.

HogerBerivanNobar said...

hi Zack how are you bleive me that is very very nice pic. i want to enjoy in turkish land
your brother Hoger from Duhok