Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A few Thoughts on Taxis

Taxis (or Taksis as the Turks spell it) are a decent way to get around Ankara. They are on the expensive side but less complicated than the bus (of which there is no map, you just have to figure out). However, my concerns about the taksis here are that 1. The drivers are crazy. If there is an open inch, they will drive in it. There are many accidents and pedestrian deaths here due to reckless driving. 2. There are either no seatbelts, or they are shoved so far down into the seat you'd never be able to recover them before arriving at your destination. For these reasons, I hate hate hate taking Eli in a taksi. Crazy driver + no seatbelts (so no carseat) = nervous mama
The one thing I do like about the taksi situation here is that often outside shopping areas there is a "taksi button." You simply push a button and seconds/a minute later a taksi arrives to get you. Here is a random "taksi button" attached to a tree near our language school.
Okay my final thought on taksis requires your participation. Is the word "taxi" universal (with the exception of slight variation in spelling or pronunciation)? Is there any country in the world that would not understand if you said the word "taxi"? I invite responses if you know of any.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In China they use a different word/phrase for Taxis. Outside of the bigger (international) cities, I don't think anyone would know what a "taxi" is.

Sarah Kate said...

It's Taxi in both Costa Rica and Honduras...I think.