As you can see from the picture below, this looks like it could be a playground in the U.S. See observation #1 below for more thoughts on this.
1. The dress here is much more western than I expected it to be. I would estimate that 85% of the women in this area of town dress just like anyone in (enter any U.S. city name here). There are women that cover their heads and dress more conservatively, but they are far outnumbered. We live in the southern part of Ankara. I am told that in the northern part of the city the % of conservatively dressed women is much higher.
2. Yesterday, I saw a Turkish soap opera being filmed out in the street behind our complex. Obviously I didn't know what they were saying, but a friend said it was a "girl yelling match" scene.
3. Today, following worship, we took the city bus (first time) to the bustling city center (first time there) to walk through shops and bazaars. My adrenaline gets going when I ride a city bus in an unfamiliar city. Every bus system is different and I've been on enough buses to wonder: Do I have to have exact change? Do I get off in the front or in the middle? Do I have to push the stop button? Will they announce the next stop? Will I understand when they announce the next stop? Can I talk on the bus or are people quiet? But, now we've been on the Ankara bus, and the next time won't be so scary.
4. Every man here has shiny shoes. Okay...maybe that's an exaggeration. MOST men here have shiny shoes. Do their wives shine them? Am I looked down on if I don't shine my husband's shoes? I don't know...but Zach's shoes really look dull in comparison. Well, they did, before he got them shined today in the street for $1.30 . Now they look shiny.
2 comments:
Love the pictures! Glad Zach has shiny shoes now :) Thinking of y'all!!
Valerie
i'm loving your updates.
tell z to shine his own shoes. and tell him i said so.
Post a Comment