Friday, November 7, 2008

This and That

Yesterday we walked from our apartment to the nearest shopping center (approx. 30 mins).  Here are some of the things we saw along the way:
A mosque
Lots and lots of apartments
and a bread kiosk (there will never be a shortage of bread in this country!)
Today I'm going to attempt to make a cake.  There isn't a special reason for it except that next Friday we're going to someone's house for dinner and I'm in charge of dessert.  Since I don't exactly know how to use my oven, nor can I fully read the directions on the box, I thought I'd better practice.  While I translated the directions last night I discovered something funny.  See observation #1 below.  
Observations:
#1 - the measurements read "1 tea glass full of oil, 1.5 tea glasses full of water," etc.  Since everyone in the country has the same size standard tea glasses (see post on Oct. 20th) I guess it's a reliable way of measuring.

#2.  In the last two weeks we've set up our phone, t.v., internet, and banking.  All set ups required not only our information, but also Zach's dad and mom's (maiden) names, and my dad and mom's (maiden) name.  Isn't that funny??  I guess since it's such a tight family unit here (many relatives live in the same apartment/house) it's common info.

#3. We have baazar in the neighborhood every Thursday.  It's sort of like a traveling farmers' market, only there are household goods as well.  Zach bought a baking dish there for me for $8.  We saw the exact same baking dish at a store yesterday for $14.  I guess we need to wait until Thursdays to buy fruit, veggies,  and home items.       

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi guys! I meant to tell you that I used that brand of cake mix for Willa's cake. Over here, it is organic. I used regular cake mix for the other cake. Willa didn't tell me whether her cake tasted like diapers, so who knows? We miss you guys!