Sunday, December 7, 2008

Bling Bling

Yesterday we went to an area of the city that is literally miles and miles of furniture stores. The Turkish styles are quite different from what I'm used to in the U.S. The nice leather couch and chair set that we had in St. Louis (and that I'm still mourning the sale of) would be considered boring. Yesterday we saw glitter, rhinestones, purple velvet with gold painted wood, etc. The following pictures really don't do the "bling bling" justice...they are simply pieces I could discreetly snap photos of. A gold velour/black shiny combo.
What's better than one shade of purple? TWO! This is not a Turkish word, but rather someone's failed attempt at creating a clever, English, play on words. "Sofa Art" would have been a much better choice.
Men gathered around a station wagon covered in animal hides.
Awhile back I talked about the man with bread on his head (original post is here). We've since learned that the bread is called simit, the man with the simit on his head is the "simit-jee," and what he calls out is "simiiiiiiiiiiiiiit." There are hundreds of these guys around the city and they all have their own unique call.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Wow" is about the only word that fits. :)

Morgan