I got my first man-kiss in Turkey this week. It is common for friends here to kiss each other on each cheek when they see each other. We were taking a walk this week and ran into a friend that works at a local cafe that I had not seen in awhile because of the holiday. He grabbed my hand and pulled me in for the man-kiss. It is also semi-common to see male friends holding hands while walking around. I have done that while working before in Iraq but apparently am not currently friendly enough with any man to go that far.
I also got to visit a patient for the first time here. The mother of our co-worker's landlord had a stroke about a month ago and is now home. She is getting home health care, but had not yet been to a rehab center. Apparently the recommendation here is to go directly home from the hospital and then eventually go to a rehab hospital after about a month. I guess some of the services are paid with government money, like our social security. But they are not sure who pays for the rehab hospital. Apparently they are difficult to get in to, because it is somewhat "fashionable" to spend time in the rehab hospital. What a reversal, all my patients wanted to leave!
Anyway, we hope that we can form a good relationship with these people and be able to share with them and be a part of their family.
Finally, it looks like we have sold at least one car and will sell the truck hopefully on Sunday. We also apply for our residence permits next week, so keep us in mind this week as all of this transpires!
No comments:
Post a Comment