Sunday, March 22, 2009

Campaigns, Vegetable Peelers, and "Our Fodder"

Turkey has local elections coming up at the end of March. Unlike the U.S., I have not seen any t.v. ads promoting candidates. I have, however, seen billboards, promotional flags, and the most common of promotional tactics, trucks with loud speakers. You can hear them approaching in the distance. They are painted with the candidates' pictures, and they drive slowly up and down streets, blaring their candidates' propoganda through loud speakers that are attached to the outside. I am filled with a slight panic everytime their drive-by coincides with Eli's nap time. Afterall, they are meant to be loud enough to hear inside houses.

If you were to buy a nice vegetable peeler here (you know like for potatoes or carrots, etc.) you would probably be slightly confused when you attempted to use it. The blade is angled wrong...backwards for a right-handed person. Well, I just learned this weekend that Turks peel vegetables toward themselves. Isn't that a funny difference?

Earlier this week Eli got up on his toy box, folded his hands and said "Daddy," indicating that he wanted to pray for his daddy. Then when we were done he re-folded his hands and said "Our fodder bread." "What?" I asked. "Our fodder bread, our fodder bread" he said again. After a few more "What?'s" on my part I finally realized he was wanting to say the Lord's Prayer ("Our Father" and "Give us this day our daily bread."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Erika,
I love your comments on everyday life in Turkey, it is so interesting. The comments on your adorable Eli are very entertaining as well!
Trina