Thursday, April 9, 2009

Very Ankara-ish

I can't really speak for the whole country of Turkey, as I've only been to a few other places so far, but there are certain things here in Ankara that have taken a bit of getting used to. Here are a few:

1. At the movie theatre (which I've been to twice on a "girls night out") they have an intermission during the middle of the movie. I think it's because there is a really high percentage of smokers here and allowing a "smoke break" halfway through the movie helps boost ticket sales.

2. Almost all of the parks I've seen have outdoor exercise equipment! They're funny machines with almost zero resistance; things for twisting at the waist, cross country ski like machines, etc. Near our house there is even outdoor equipment right off of the highway. It's funny to watch women wearing ankle length skirts and dress shoes working out in the park. 3. There is definately more security at malls here. Anyone who drives to the mall and attempts to park in the parking garage will have the underneath of their car checked. At the entrance stand two men with a mirror on a large pole. They stick it under the car to check for (I assume) explosives and LPG tanks (natural gas tanks that many cars/cabs have here and would be dangerous in covered parking). Then, when entering malls everyone must go through the metal detector and have purses checked.

And now for some new Eli pictures:

Eating ice cream with a big blue dogat the park
Doing an un-plugged set

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's weird about the exercise equipment and the security for malls. Yikes.

By the way, just in case Jodi hasn't mentioned it yet, Breanna absolutely LOVES the videos of Eli. Lately whenever I'm over there she wants to watch "Eli". She likes the one where he talks about the "Owl" (stuffed animal) and the one where he kisses his pear--she thinks that's hilarious and wants to go right out and eat an apple and kiss it like Eli. :) She also loves the one where he jumps off of the toybox and you tell him to sit down--she acts it out with her babydolls and says "Eli-Mommy...sit down...sit down...thank you". lol

Morgan