Sunday, May 10, 2009

Lovely, Lovely Weekend

We (with a little bit of drama and lots of help from a friend) got onto the American army base this weekend for their yearly Rummage Sale. Turks don't "do" secondhand, which is why I know I'll never fully fit in because I'm all. about. secondhand. I'm not one of those crazy up- at-the-break-of-dawn and barter-for-pennies-off sort of people, but when I lived in the states I frequented the "re-sale" stores and often bragged about my bargains. Somehow, in my mind, a shirt becomes even cuter when you get it for under $5, and furniture becomes way more exciting when it's a steal! Re-saleing was a cheap thrill for me (pun intended). So I felt like a long lost child returning home at yesterday's rummage sale. Of course I came home with nothing for myself and everything for Eli. We found a great little bike for him which he absolutely adores. It's got a bar and handle in the back so I can steer him, and a little basket attached. I actually pushed him on it through the market yesterday (yes, you can do that here) and filled up his little basket with groceries. He loved it!

Following the rummage sale we were able to go into the small restaurant on base and have pizza. Real American pizza with real pepperoni. It was slightly painful to stare into the PX ("post exchange": the store on base) at the peanut butter M&M's, tortilla chips, and other wonderfully American goods in stock and not be able to buy them. Only military workers and U.S. government workers are allowed to buy...

Today, on Mother's Day, I got breakfast in bed and a gigantor Yankee Candle (sold in 1 store here in Ankara) that smells of lilac blossoms. I personally think it's better than flowers because it will make my apartment smell like flowers for a good six months! I love my boys! They are so good to me, even though Eli managed to eat half of my breakfast...in my bed.

Today during church I got asked to work in the nursery. I don't normally enjoy watching multiple children as often times I'd like a break from the one child I have, but today was enjoyable because I got to hold this sweet little Korean baby the whole time. And if you didn't know before now...I have a special love for Korean children.

After church we spent the rest of the day with some Turkish friends. I learned to make "montuh" (a ravioli-like dish with plain yogurt and spices on top) from scratch, like a real Turkish housewife. I feel accomplished when I make things from scratch. It was good and my husband was going on and on about it. Here's a picture of "montuh" (not my "montuh" but just so you have an idea).

No comments: