I know the title is a little leading seeing that I'm only 13 weeks along. But, as I think most of you would do too, I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I commit to this whole "giving birth in a foreign country" gig.
I've heard rumors and read countless internet accounts of women who have given birth in Turkey, all refering to having to "fight" for a normal birth. Stay here for any extended period of time and you'll learn that many many women here in have pre-scheduled C-sections. The last article I read said that in 2008 only 51% of all the births in Turkey were natural (meaning a normal delivery). Some say it's for money reasons (doctors get much more for C-sections). Some say it's for convenience. And one article even asserts, "It seems that Turkish women have become either to scared or too posh to push." Now, I understand that at times C-sections are medically necessary, but I don't want to go under the knife for no good reason.
So, at my 12 week appointment I approached the issue with my doctor. She is a young OBGYN who studied at the best university in the country. Her English is much better than my Turkish so that's what we converse in. I told her that Eli's birth was a natural, medication-free birth and, if there aren't any complications, I'd like to do the same with this next birth. Much to my relief, she said she'd support that, and said then that I'd want to deliver at one particular hospital in Ankara. From the sounds of it, it's the only hospital that has rooms where you labor and deliver in the same room. She also said I'd be allowed to walk around and do whatever I'd like while I labor.
So, I'm feeling relieved and confident that I'll be just fine giving birth in a foreign country.
2 comments:
WOO HOO - that's AWESOME news!!! Whew...glad you've got such a good doctor! Hope she comes with a back up that also agrees in case she's not available during your time to deliver.
Love reading your posts, newsletters and FB updates...miss you!
{Hugs} praying for you all!
Kim
That is wonderful news!
Post a Comment