Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Product Review

Knowing that I'm going to have another child in just 13 weeks is making me very sentimental. I spent much of the day taking in the adorable-ness of my blond haired, blue eyed Eli. He really is an amazing kid and has been a "dream child" for me as a first time mom. Aside from his great "skills set" (i.e. he's always been a great night time sleeper and daytime napper, he's mastered the potty training thing, he gets along with kids of all ages, etc.), he has become a really funny, tender, polite little guy. He understands things and says things that make me forget he's only two. Like the other day we were driving and saw a lady in a full burqa and he said in the most casual, observant sort of way, "Look, a burqa." It was cute.

Well, during the latter part of today I was reminded that "he's only two." I was talking to my mom on the phone and only keeping half of my attention on him. He was out of my sight for a few minutes too long when I heard the un-mistakeable sound of someone shaking a paint marker (You know what I'm talking about, right?? It's the same sound a can of spray paint makes when you shake it. The little ball inside goes clanking around in the most distinct way). Anyway, I abruptly hung up with my mom and turned to find some original Eli artwork on the wall...in permanent paint maker. Awesome. Unsure if it was confined to one spot I turned the corner into the hall and Waaahhhlah! Another piece of artwork! Knowing that he probably swiped the paint marker from a room a little further down the hall I took a few more steps and yes, discovered his very first wall mural.

I immediately began to see $$$ signs in my head. This mess would definately have to be painted over and typically Turkish landlords require any painting to be done by professionals. Professional Turkish painters are NOT CHEAP.

At that moment, my very handy, logical husband entered onto the scene. There wasn't an ounce of worry in his body because, as I've come to learn over the last four years, he can fix ANYTHING. He stepped into our storage closet and reappeared a moment later with a fairly large bottle of "Goo Gone." He bought it off a foreigner who was moving back to the States about a year ago and has been saving it for such a time as this ("Goo Gone" is not sold in Turkey). He gave me a few short instructions, we tackled the permanent paintings as a team, and about ten minutes later there was little sign that our very own Picasso had even been there. "Goo Gone" Rocks! If you don't already have it in your house, go get it! You'll be glad you did.

And I would have posted a before and after picture of the "Goo Gone" job but our dear little two-year-old just broke our camera, too.  :) 

      

5 comments:

The Sheltons said...

I read that post as only another mom of a little one could read it - waiting for the other shoe to drop. I feel ya. Carter took a brown sharpie to my couch. It's still there - a daily reminder that even awesome two years olds need constant supervision.

I hope you make a US trip soon, we miss you guys.

baby havin babies said...

precious! good to know your boy isn't perfect. but his little brushes with imperfection kinda make him all the more perfect... you're an awesome mama!!

said...

I don't know if they're available in Turkey (you could probably order online and have them delivered) but Mr. Clean Magic Erasers take ALL SORTS of stuff off walls. We have an almost 5 year old that has been pushing her limits for a while now.

Kim said...

Heather took a pen and dug into the wood livingroom coffee table and was so proud of her 7 year old self when she carved I {heart} MOM R into it...couldn't get it out, especially since after her carving she colored in each letter nice and dark...it's a daily reminder and they are only kids once! I didn't react in the best "mom-appreciative" manner though...that is what I regret about it.

The Sommermeyers said...

Tara Shelton,
We'll be home Oct-Jan and will definately be making a stop in Houston which then also means definately a visit with the Shelton fam :)

Jihae, thanks sister. You're a great mom too and I love your fun stories. P.S. Have you purchased the boiled egg thingy yet?

Tara #2, Mr. Clean isn't in Turkey, but that's a good idea. I'll have to stockpile when we're back in the states.

Kim,hahaha wow, a carving!? Even goo gone can't help with that one. But just think it like 20 years you'll want to saw that part out and use it as a keepsake :)