It's still hard for me to believe that in 8 weeks I will have another little boy to care for. While the disbelief is still around, the excitement definately kicked in for me this week. Zach and I toured two private Turkish hospitals yesterday. For any of you that worry about me giving birth in Turkey....DON'T. These hospitals are every bit as nice as the one I delivered Eli in in St. Louis, MO. The one I've chosen is the hospital that treated Dick Cheney once when he was here on political business. Now, I realize that some of you don't like Dick Cheney, but I think if the care was good enough for the former Vice President of the United States, then it's good enough for me. Just sayin'.
I thought you recent mothers/mothers-to-be might enjoy hearing some of the differences that I will experience in this hospital as opposed to what is common in the U.S.
1. The labor/delivery rooms and recovery rooms are BIG (I realize that's relative as every hospital has
different size rooms). I was pleasantly surprised.
2. Flowers are not allowed in any rooms. They have to stay at the reception desk of the hospital.
3. I literally have to bring EVERYTHING with me: baby clothes, diapers, baby blankets, hat, pacifiers, pad
for my bed, my pj's, ice packs, towels (not provided for the shower), sanitary pads, etc. Anything you
can think of, I have to bring.
4. I think due mainly to reason #3 birthing there is THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS CHEAPER than the
U.S.
5. I have to change into my own pj's within minutes of birthing...like before I even leave the delivery room.
Strange.
6. There's a mini-bar in the recovery room with whiskey. They don't have towels, but they have
whiskey?!?
7. For post-recovery they don't give anything stronger than Tylenol/IBuprofen. Maybe that's where the
whiskey comes in??
8. My doctor will be in the room with me THE WHOLE LABOR and DELIVERY. It's not just a
"show up when it's time to push" sort of thing. The hospital pediatrician will also be there for the birth
and will be the one to do the APGAR test, etc.
9. There is no nursery. The baby stays in the room with mama all day and night.
10. A normal birth only requires a 1 night stay.
So there are some differences...
I also met with a doula and a couple other pregnant ladies today to talk over birthing/baby stuff. I learned these little things too:
1. Our son will have to have his passport picture taken at 1 week old (which is a total no-no in this culture
because mom and baby are not supposed to leave the house for 40 days. Oh well.) Anyway, the baby
must be held up, have both eyes open, looking at the camera, and no parent hand can be showing.
Hmm..
2. It will take 2 weeks for his passport to be finished.
3. All of the above must be complete and the baby must be registered at the Turkish police station within 30
days of birth otherwise we receive a fine.
4 comments:
Oh my...you better start packing your bag now!! I would definitely forget something! It sounds like you will be well taken care of.
The whole whiskey thing makes me laugh. What in the world? Nothing like boozing it up while breastfeeding?! I guess that's a good way to get the newborn to stay asleep? :) Definitely sounds a little different than my experiences, but I'm glad that you feel good about it and confident that you will be well taken care of!! Hope these last 8 weeks are relaxing for you!
I wanna know if the whiskey is for you or Zach? Too funny.
Sounds like it will be an unforgettable experience for many reasons! We will be praying for you all and all the paperwork! We've been there!
Post a Comment