My husband loves tools. LOVES TOOLS. Within the first two years of our marriage I bought him a miter saw and an air compressor nail gun and he was like a kid in a candy store (I know, what an awesome wife, huh?). He would spend time in our basement nailing and sawing scrap wood. And when scrap wood no longer satisfied him, he moved on to bigger and better projects like adding a bathroom and finishing off our basement (see why I bought him tools?? :) . Anyway, now we live in a medium sized flat that belongs to someone else. There is neither room for tools nor the need for tools.
So he's had to find other "toys" to satisfy his manliness.
This, my friends, is not a tennis racket. It's an electric fly swatter. And Zach keeps it near at all times. As soon as he spots a flying insect of any kind he gets a strange and powerful look in his eyes, picks this up, swats at the insect, and grins as he listens to the sound of it frying. Literally frying. He's not completely satisfied until the smell of charred bug reaches his nostrils.
And then there's my new "toy." This may be the most boring picture you'll ever lay your eyes on. It's a plain old air conditioning unit, but this was the highlight of my weekend. You see, 99% of the flats in Ankara are without air conditioning. That's because Turks in this area are (in general) afraid of air conditioning. They think it makes you (me, children, anyone and everyone) sick. Once in the blazing hot middle of summer a classmate asked our teacher to turn off the air conditioning unit because it was "going to freeze his kidneys." No, I'm not kidding.
We survived last summer without it. But last summer I did not have an extra person insulating my body. So, my dear sweet husband (yes, the same one that fries bugs) bought this for our main room. And if I have to, I'll eat, sleep, and spend every waking moment in the main room from now until Sept.
No new toys for Eli. Just a picture of him sitting naked at the kitchen table drinking juice out of the carton.
In other child-related news, I went for a 32 week appointment today. Here are the latest baby stats:
Baby's approx. weight: 4lbs 5oz.
Baby's development rate: 33 weeks 3 days (I'm 32 weeks 1 day along)
Everything looks normal & the doctor agreed to everything in my birth plan, so we're feeling good.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment