Friday, May 21, 2010

New Friends

I am totally entertained by my son...and I don't think it's just because he's my son. I think I would be entertained by any child his age if I was around them 24/7.  Eli's imagination has definately been showing up in the last several months, but "imaginary friends" have just shown up as of late. On any given day you'll see Eli walking around with one hand in a fist. That's because he's carrying his imaginary lizard around with him.
This lizard has accompanied us many places lately; the store, a play, school, etc.  We were at a cafe this weekend and I noticed Eli doing something strange with his straw.

"What are you doing, Eli?" 

"I'm sharing my drink with lizard," he replied as he set lizard back down on the table.

Zach, who was entralled in a book, was paying no attention to the conversation at all. As he took a drink of coffee he innocently set his book down on the table.

"DADDY! You put your book on lizard!" Eli said in an over dramatic sort of way.

I don't fault Zach. It's hard to know exactly where this invisible lizard is located sometimes.

The thing that has surprised me the most (and it really shouldn't, I suppose) is that he has given this lizard a very Turkish sounding name. This is no Bubba, or Tom, or Lyle. No, he's named this guy something more in the ballpark of "Çatıp" (Chaw-t-uh-p).  The imaginary spider and bumblebee that occassionally come around have Turkish names as well.

I find the whole thing completely fascinating. I suppose I should do some reading up on handling such a thing, but I play along when the situation arises.

Does anyone else have any "imaginary friend" experience?


   

6 comments:

Kim said...

I was going to comment even before I got to your question! LOL

Michael had an imaginary friend when he was 5 - "Donny". Donny went EVERYWHERE with us and Michael was sure to tell us when we've left Donny outside the car and we'd have to open the car door and let the imaginary Donny in. We played along as if it all was a big joke and several months 6-8 later...Michael's dad LeRoy ran over Donny with the car and that was the end of Donny. It wasn't a tramatic episode for Michael or anything...he just said "OH dad, you just ran over Donny" and that was pretty much the end of it. We still laugh about it to this day...boy do I wish I hadn't "wished" those small years away!!!

Kendra said...

When I was 4 or 5 I had two friends - Deema and Doma, who were sisters. They were pretty, with blonde hair and blue eyes. I forget who made them do this, but they were always having to do the laundry, kinda like slaves. Then sometimes they would sneak out to play. Then once, Doma dropped a bar of soap into the washing machine and Deema jumped in after it....and died. Just like Donny's death, it wasn't traumatic. Just over. Who knows what happened to Doma.

Unknown said...

lol that is soooooo cute!!! :) I always had imaginary friends... one day someone visited our church and had the same name as my imaginary friend - boy was I surprised! :) lol I wouldn't worry just play along with him when this baby arrives everything will be new and exciting he'll prob outgrow the imaginary friends now that he will have a playmate! :)

Chris Will said...

I still have imaginary friends. Is that wrong?

The Sommermeyers said...

Thanks for the comments! I actually liked hearing about the imaginary friends from when you were kids or your kids were kids!!

And Chris, maybe you should ask that to someone more qualified than me! :)

Sarah Kate said...

I think I had one. Once my mom asked who I was talking to, I said "Mr. Nobody." I think I had my imaginary friend in hiding.