We've reached a difficult season with Eli. He's very "busy" and gets distracted from most every task he's asked to do. We have to repeat our requests OVER AND OVER AND OVER for him, and even when he actually "hears" them things often turn into a battle of wills. We've been doing ALOT of disciplining. And ALOT of praying for extra patience and joy in this parenting job. Let's face it, sometimes I'd like to hide and let someone else do the hard stuff!
While lately there have been more frustrating times with him than not, I'm am blessed by so many tender moments as well. Last night was one of those times:
Eli had pretty much been disobedient all day long. It was a day filled with whining, tantrums, and tears, and by the time his bedtime rolled around at 8:30pm I was SO READY to not deal with him for the next 10 hours or so. In my frustration, I hurried through his bedtime routine; jammies, potty, brush teeth, a sip of water, books, prayers, and kisses. I exited his room with my usual statement: "This is bedtime. This is not playtime. Do not call out for me. Go to sleep." I closed the door and....AHHHH freedom. About 10 mins after my departure I started hearing, "MOOOOOOOOOM. MOOOOOMMMYYYY!!"
"Ignore it," I thought "and he'll fall asleep."
It continued for another several minutes, "MOOOOOOMMMMY!! YOU FORGOT SOMETHING. MOOOOOOOM! MOOOOOOM!"
I could only imagine that he was calling out for me with one of his many ploys to delay bedtime (more water, potty again, "I hurt my head", etc.).
So, fairly irritated, I entered his room with a stern "WHY ARE YOU CALLING OUT FOR ME? THIS IS BEDTIME!"
He was laying all the way to one side of the bed and he said in the sweetest little way, "Mommy, you forgot snuggle time. Look, I made room for you."
Oh, melt my heart!
I got in bed with him and we proceeded to talk about the good things and the bad things that happened during the day. My sensitive little stinker told me that the good thing that happened during the day was "painting with Mommy." And the bad things that happened were "getting in trouble, and making Semih (neighbor boy) sad because I kicked over his toys."
We snuggled for a bit longer and then, wiping away the memory of the whining, tantrums, and tears from earlier in the day, he said, "I love you, Mommy. Goodnight."
4 comments:
We are fighting the same battles right now with Maya. It IS very frustrating, however, she always finds a way to make us forget all about it. I don't think I could resist snuggle time either!
gaLove this post and the story you told about Eli and his day of disobeying reminds me so much of Benny. I have had many days like this, but at the end of the day he is still a tenderhearted little man who finds a way to melt my heart (just like Eli does yours) and make me realize that these days will be gone soon and this is all just part of being a mama. You are a great one...I can tell. Enjoy your time with your mom and relax a little before baby #2 arrives! :)
Aww, how sweet!
Morgan
WOW - what a sensative little guy!!! How sweet!!! One of the best books that I have treasured is Lisa Whelchel's (Blair from Facts of Life :) "Creative Correction"...I LOVE it!!! It gives creative ways to dicipline and also biblical backing for TONS of stuff...it's great!!!
Post a Comment