I want to start this post by saying that when I write about Turkish cultural things I don't want to imply that they are wrong. They are just different from my own culture. In my opinion, the only things that are wrong are those that go directly against the word of God, and to my knowledge the word of God doesn't say anything about, for instance, air conditioning. :)
1. Anyway, in the three short days that I've been a mother of two I've learned an interesting cultural thing. In Turkish culture a mother and new baby are not supposed to leave the house for 40 days. We're automatically an exception to this rule because our son has to have an American passport and Turkish residence card in a very short amount of time. Also, unfortunately for me, my husband is the strictest Physical Therapist in the world and I've been required to go on walks since day 1. Yes, even the day I gave birth. Anyway, on my walks out of the house I've seen two Turkish neighbors and a Turkish friend. In our exchanges and greetings I've shared the news about our newborn son and in almost IDENTICAL WORDING each one of them has said, "But look at your belly. Surely there is another baby in there." WOW. That is a little bit grating to someone who comes from the American culture where people tend to say things like, "Wow, you look great," to a new mother. My only speculation is that they are not used to seeing women so early after they've given birth. Remember, most people stay in for 40 days. My only response has been that of a joke when I reply with, "No, now it's just ice cream." :)
2. Aside from the goofy air conditioning fiasco, I was very very pleased with the hospital service and my doctor. She met every request we had and even acted as our advocate with the nurses and pediatrician when we wanted to decline certain things. The only request that was not possible was for Noah to be circumcised before we left the hospital. I know I've mentioned before that traditionally Turkish boys are not circumcised until they are between 6-10 years old. It's a big right of passage that involves a party and interesting Sultan-like costume. Anyway, our desire to circumcise Noah immediately was met with resistance at every turn. We talked with several doctors and two hospitals that led to dead ends. Thankfully, we've tracked down "the doctor" who does newborn circumcision for many Israelis babies in Turkey, and other children of embassy workers. Noah, along with another friends' newborn, will go to a small office tomorrow morning for their procedures. We have to bring our own topical anesthesia from the pharmacy and I'm not gonna lie, I'm slightly nervous. I do expect to receive slack at our pediatrician follow up visit next week. But, it's just one of those things that goes along with living in a foreign culture.
2 comments:
dude! turkish women are as tactful as korean women! now it makes so much sense as to why you were in korea- to develop thick-skin to live in turkey as a mom. i bet you look great!!!!!!!!!!!! you're such a champ. am loving all your posts as mama-of-two.
Oh my!! Love your response though. ;)
Morgan
Post a Comment