In the United States when you see a flyer like this it's usually in the post office and it means the people in the pictures are wanted for serious crimes. We found this flyer in our mailbox and the men in the pictures are not wanted for serious crimes. These very happy looking men are our friendly, neighborhood Ramadan drummers. Yes, for 30 days these men ride on the back of a truck, beating drums loudly in the middle of the night, to wake people up for a meal before sunrise. They've been going past our apartment at almost 2:40a.m. exactly. I know this because I've been up nursing my newborn and each and every time I've heard the drum beat I've prayed that it wouldn't startle him to the point of sleeplessness. So far so good.
Poor Eli, who LOVES instruments (borderline obsessed with them), has been disappointed that he's not heard them yet. I have contemplated waking him up so that he can look out the window when they go by but then I realize that it would just be RIDICULOUS to wake a sleeping child.

2 comments:
It does look like a Wanted poster! What is the point of the flyer?? Just so you can put a face with a loud sound you hear every night?! I love when you write about the differences in culture..so interesting! :)
Ali, I totally forgot to write about why we get their pictures. We get the pictures so we know who to expect at our door asking for money for WAKING US UP!! Yep, they get paid for drumming in the middle of the night as the "fasters" consider it a good service.
Post a Comment