Monday, January 31, 2011

Almost Famous

It's not every day that I see people I know on live television in a foreign land. It's really not every day that the person is my husband. Last night Eli and I sat in front of the computer (because we don't have t.v. hooked up) and watched Zach "coach" the U.S. Curling team as they defeated Turkey's Curling team, 9-5. Here's a still frame shot of the computer screen:      
There were many Turks watching this match and hoping that Turkey would win since they've not come out on top in any other sports yet. As soon as Zach came up on the screen my phone rang. Our former landlord, Mustafa, managed to ask in between laughs, "What in the world is Zach doing on t.v.?" He also added, "Tell him I'm sorry but I'm rooting for TURKEY!"
Like a real experienced t.v. star, Zach used his 1.5 hours of t.v. time to prop up little signs saying, "Hi Mom & Erika," "Hi Eli & Noah," etc. The Turkish commentator made sure to tell us that he was the American coach and he must be homesick. HAHA!   

5 comments:

Joel Hieber said...

That's just so full of awesome, Erika. Just so full of awesome!

Jono and Janice said...

Hilarious! One can't really tell that he has no idea what was going on!

Kim said...

Way cool...so glad you and the kiddos are surviving - hopefully it won't be too much longer til he's home! It's neat to see God working...can't wait to see what's going to become of this!!! Go USA!!!

The Sommermeyers said...

I know, funny, right? He's having such a great time and not only making some great connections with other Dr.s, etc. but he's speaking LOTS of Turkish and meeting Turks that are in his field as well.

Anonymous said...

So cool!

Morgan