Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Save Us

I've talked about Ankara's street dog problem before: the incessant barking, the dog fights at 3am, the trash that gets sprauled about. While those things are irritating it's really the stalking by knarly-fanged, hungry- looking dogs that concerns me. Across the street from the back entrance of our new apartment (where we park our car) is a partially finished apartment building (unfinished buildings are not uncommon here because people start to build and then run out of money). On any given day as many as six street dogs can be found lounging under the shelter of boards or milling around the trash that people have dumped at the site. They look like this:









Okay, not really. That's just what pulled up when I googled "scary dog".

Anyway, if it's true that dogs can smell fear then they can smell me a mile away. When I go to my car they study my every move. They watch my children. They wait to see what kind of goodies we've got on us. A few nights ago, as I unloaded groceries, three dogs came toward me with swift, steady motions, and then stood a few feet away and salivated. I would have immediately tossed my 10 lira chicken (=$7 chicken) to them to save my own hide, but luckily I escaped with all my purchases.

Some might claim that I've built the the ferociousness of these dogs up in my mind a bit. And, that may be. But, my concerns are not unfounded. I have a friend who was bitten right outside her apartment complex door, and know of several children that have been followed by these ownerless beasts.

So, blog readers, I need help. Send me ideas (humane, non life- threatening ideas) on how to keep these dogs at bay. Your suggestions will be put into action and then you can rest in the knowledge that you took part in saving me and my children from being eaten by dogs.

6 comments:

The Thebeaus said...

I don't know if you can buy them over there,(but there's always the internet) but they make a device that makes noises that dogs don't like and they will stay away from you. I'm sure it's some awful high-pitched noise...that's not too in-humane, is it?

The Moser Fam... said...

Ok...that picture made me laugh really hard...especially when I read that you googled "scary dog!" :) I have NO idea how to help! I am not a fan of normal dogs, let alone scary dogs! Mike's family likes to make fun of me because when we were first together because I wanted their dog to leave me alone so I fed him some scraps from the table. They couldn't figure out how I thought that FEEDING the dog would keep him away...it kind of had the opposite effect. So, I don't recommend giving your hungry neighborhood pals your chicken...they will surely expect MORE next time!! :) Sorry I'm of no use!!

said...

Here are a few humane dog repellents:

http://www.tbotech.com/dogchaser.htm

http://www.thestunstore.com/dog-repellent/

Aside from that, a big stick to bop a dog on the nose. Good luck

Kim said...

mace...if you don't have mace maybe some bleach in a spray bottle...would be dangerous for the kiddos though...not sure. That dog scared the bajebees out of me...so glad you weren't close to a dog like that to get that photo...yikes!!! Praying God will protect you and the kids and you'll think of something cleaver to be able to handle them.

Grant said...

Ammonia is like kryptonite to Dogs. Keep some in a spray bottle or squirt gun. also BB-guns/airsoft guns work nicely...sure they may hurt the dog but they will not injure (unless you hit them in the eye) and will not kill.

The Sommermeyers said...

Thanks for the great ideas, ya'll!! I'm going to start with a homemade recipe for pepper spray (that my sis-in-law sent via email) since the ingredients are readily available, and also carry a big stick. If that doesn't work I'll move to ammonia and ordering the high pitched noise device! I'll keep you posted!