Sunday, June 19, 2011

Celebrating Fathers

Photo taken some time in the 80's


God blessed me with a really special father. When I was young, he was the kind of father that bought me special dresses for Christmas, danced with us while blaring black gospel music before church on Sundays, and brushed my hair before bedtime. And, now that I'm grown, he's the kind of father that calls several times a week and often reminds me that he's praying for me and my family. He's a father to four and a grandfather to five, and today I celebrate him!



Photo from October 2009

My father-in-law is extremely easy to get along with. When Zach and I were dating long-distance (I was in St. Louis and he was in northern Iraq), his dad came through St. Louis and Zach wanted me to meet him. I was fairly nervous to meet my boyfriend's father for the first time without my boyfriend even being there, but I'm glad I did! He's kind, and smart, and a great problem solver! I'm also thankful that he's passed on all of his handy-man skills to his son! He's the father to two and the grandfather to four and a half (Zach's brother and wife are expecting).   


Photo from July 2010                             






















My husband is an amazing father. Our boys never go a day without hugs and kisses and hearing "I love you," from their dad. He builds things with them (Eli's latest project was a "bug barn"), wrestles with them, and he's even taken Eli with him on visits to amputees' and disabled childrens' houses (teaching him about caring for those in need). I can only pray that my children will grow up to be as loving, affectionate, hard-working, faithful, and funny as their dad. 

No comments: