Friday, February 17, 2012

Bored to Tears

Bored to tears - that's what you've probably been with this blog lately. I've posted nothing lately because well...that's what's been going on. We've had snow everyday for the last 3 weeks. Not beautiful, fluffy, "let's go make snow angels" sort of snow. But, gross, city, smoggy snow. 

Winter in Ankara is hard. Older turkish kids do not go outside in the winter (aside from waiting for their bus to school). And, Turkish toddlers/babies really don't go outside in the winter. They stay bundled up inside their house with grandma or auntie while momma walks to the grocery store. So, while I do take my kids outside some (and I have to drag them to the stores with me), I try not to position myself as that freakish American lady with no health sense who *gasp* takes her kids out in the freezing cold. I don't need any more reasons for them to look at me funny. So, that leaves us with the indoor play options. Aside from the "pay by the hour" play places at the malls, there aren't really many indoor space to take kids in this city. No library. No YMCA. No Chuckie Cheeses. IKEA (located just 5 minutes from my apartment), with their free play land and babysitting was my saving grace during the fall, but now they don't open the kids' areas until well after 12pm because they claim it's "too cold. I know. Don't even get me started.  

So, we have been bored. to. tears. And that's why I've had nothing to post. 

Anyway, here are just a few pictures from the month so far:

My hubby took me out to a Murder Mystery Valentine's Dinner. While I was originally agitated that he told me at 2pm the day of the event that it was a 1920's/1930's theme and most people would be dressed in appropriate costumes, I got over it quickly. It was such a fun night and our table of 10 solved the mystery and won awesome prizes.    
Here's Eli playing air guitar. Only not air guitar because he uses the broom and he was wearing safety goggles. Our cabin fever has caused quite a few spontaneous dance party/rock-n-roll sessions. I hate to admit that my 19 month old hardly speaks, and yet, he can sing the chorus parts to "Who Let the Dogs Out" and "Mah-Na-Mah-Na" (from the Muppets).  

We have tried SO HARD lately to take a decent family photo and they've all failed. Someone is always crying or eating their fingers. This is the best that we can come up with. My friend was behind the camera holding up a huge frosted sugar cookie as bribery for a good photo. That's why Noah looks like he's about to drool.  

2 comments:

Kim said...

LOL - too cute on the family photo

Anonymous said...

love the new pictures!!! Your little family is so sweet!!!!

Jodi