Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Good Times

So, if you talked to me in person this summer while I was in the States, I'm sure I made you aware that I don't always love life in Turkey. In my opinion, life in general is just harder here. Sure, we've got electricity and hot water and a car and other such blessings. But, for some reason doing everyday things is just harder. And, I've spent four years here feeling inadequate at most things. My Turkish is inadequate compared to Turkish ladies'. My housekeeping skills are definitely inadequate compared to to natives. And, even my child rearing is "different" and often viewed as "wrong." I'm not saying all this to whine, but to just give you the idea that for a long time I haven't felt excited about much in Turkey.

And I've been praying. And praying. And praying, that God would give me something or someone that would help me feel like...."me."

If you've known me awhile then you also know that few things give me more enjoyment than dancing or watching dancing. Seriously. I cannot hear a piece of music and not move. It's impossible. I'm that annoying person in front of you in church who has a slight rock or sway or knee bend or whatnot to every. song.

So, when I was in the States for the summer, I got hooked on Zumba Fitness. It's like latin dance and fitness all wrapped in to one crazy, calorie burning hour. It's awesome (and can be a little provocative. I do "clean" Zumba). So, I went through a training course and became a licensed Zumba Fitness instructor hoping to do something with it once I arrived back in Turkey.

Well, it happened. I was having an introductory conversation with another mother of a kid on Eli's soccer team when I mentioned something about Zumba.  And...BOOM. She and a group of ladies were looking for a Zumba instructor.

So, I now teach a fantastic group of ladies from all over the world, who are all married to important men. My roster looks a little something like this:
Chile
Germany
Austria
Croatia
Bosnia
USA
Hungary
Sweden
Indonesia
Pakistan
Macedonia

Covered (meaning headscarf and full sleeves/pants) and non-covered alike are gathering to dance and get fit. I am LOVING it and I feel like..."me." Thank you, Jesus!

AND, beginning in Jan. I've just gotten approval to begin a class at the International church here as a blessing to those ladies, like me, who just don't have finances or access to regular group exercise.  

    

1 comment:

Kim said...

That's AWESOME!!! I've been thinking about doing Zumba...maybe you have inspired me to check out a video to get started at home...I'm sure a group environment is better but I really need to get started on something quick and funds are tight with Christmas. So excited for you...that's GREAT news!!!