Eli just started at "Kreş" (Turkish daycare/preschool). We are sending him there for a variety of reasons, but the biggest reasons are so that he can learn Turkish fluently, and so that he has social time with other kids. It has gone as we expected it would. He cries a bit, and then plays, and then cries a bit and then plays. I think that's pretty normal for a kid in a new setting who's in total immersion in his second language. Afterall, I had my fair share of tears when I first started in this language too!! Anyway, I thought you'd enjoy hearing about his school. I've not visited many daycares in the states, but I bet you'll read a few interesting differences below.
1. Outside shoes are not allowed. Eli changes at the door into nice warm slippers (like the other 2-3 year olds). I also have to put surgeon's covers over my shoes to go anywhere past the doorframe.
2. Their typical lunch is: lentil soup with fresh bread, a plate of plain pasta with a side of plain yogurt, and water or Ayran (watery yogurt drink). Eli loves the food. He eats more than the other kids.
3. Before naptime they change into their pajamas. After naptime they change back into their street clothes, comb their hair, wash their face, and brush their teeth.
4. They sent 20 pages of homework home for Eli. He has to complete it by the end of Nov. Most of it is easy (i.e. Color the clouds blue, etc.) but some of it is more difficult like "Cut out pictures of Atatürk's face and past them to the paper."
5. In Eli's class there is a little French girl and a half German/half Turkish boy. The rest of the kids are Turkish. Yesterday he was sitting in between two of the little Turkish girls and they were swooning over him.
6. He does lots and lots of art projects and at the end of the year they send them all home to me in a book.
4 comments:
WOW - Different but I LOVE the fact that they will put all the pictures that Eli does into a book for you..what a precious treasure!!!
i'm curious how eli does with scissors...that seems a little advanced (if not a bit dangerous) for a two year old....
I love to hear about the difference in child raising styles. More details please! Like, how do they handle potty training? Any other interesting tidbits would be appreciated.
Liz King
I agree with Liz. Info on potty training is welcome. I like the book idea, they do that at CCLS now. The shoe thing sounds like a great idea, too. Do they have safety scissors?
Post a Comment