I’m not gonna lie. After spending every major holiday with family in the U.S. I did not want to come back to Turkey. Two and a half months was just enough time for life to feel “normal” again. We had meals with our parents, spent time with our siblings, and watched Eli play so well with his cousins. We also enjoyed the many conveniences of America. Daily life didn’t feel like work.
Well, regardless of my feelings, we’re back in Turkey. We’ve been here almost 48 hours and somehow things seem…comfortable. It’s odd, really. Things that seemed inconvenient or annoying two months ago now seem sort of charming; like popping popcorn on our stovetop, or the way the imam (head of the mosque) called the neighborhood to prayer over the loud speaker this morning while I enjoyed my cup of hazelnut Nescafe (popular instant coffee). I smiled as the butcher rattled off the typical Turkish phrases as I walked away with a package of chicken at the grocery store: “Affiet Olsun” (Bon Appetit!) and “Gule Gule” (literal translation is “Smiling Smiling” and is said to someone who is leaving).
So, I guess what I’m trying to say is that while two and a half months in the U.S. was enough time to feel “normal” again, it was also enough time to rest and give me a fresh outlook on life in a foreign land. I live in Turkey… and it feels pretty nice.
3 comments:
Great outlook Erika...I'm so glad you guys made it back...I was praying for you. Glad you are settling back in again. When do you move?
Thanks Kim! We appreciate your prayers!! We actually moved into an apartment just a week or so before we headed back to the states. We basically left it in shambles (meaning boxes and things everywhere) and are now trying to get it in order, hook up the phones, internet, etc. I'll post pics soon!
On a smaller scale, I understand the feeling. Sometimes after spending a day babysitting 'the kids' I'm so frusturated with trying to keep peace when they both want the same thing, (and each want my undivided attention). Then they go home and the next morning I'm wishing they were here again. :) Glad your "break" was just long enough and hope the "settling in again" goes smoothly. :)
Morgan
Post a Comment