Sure, I've read a few of the "must read" parenting books and latched on to some of the different techniques (strategies? theories?) that they offer. But, at the end of the day, despite my best efforts, it's only the grace of God that will keep my children from becoming big, screwed up, wierdos. And if they do actually become big, screwed up, wierdos, I pray that they are wierdos that know Jesus and his incredible love for them. Right? Can I get an "Amen"?
Anyway, despite the fact that I don't know much about parenting, I find it my duty to share when I've discovered a successful technique for dealing with my...er...spirited...3-year-old, in case there are any other frazzled parents out there in the same situations.
If there's one thing that he doesn't love, it's sleep. He doesn't like to sleep during the day or at night (and by night I mean the wee morning hours when darkness still covers the earth). Despite his disdain for them, he still needs naps. How do I know? Because around 1:00 in the afternoon he starts losing all sensibility and ends up in a heap on the floor wailing, "I'm not T-i--rrrrrrrrred!" In the past when the heap/wailing moment would happen I'd send him off to bed, triggering an episode that was nothing short of WWIII. The battle would continue on and on until all parties involved were emotional defeated and naptime was pointless because bedtime was drawing near.
Well, I'm here to tell you we've found a solution in these guys:
And not just them. But also these:
I'm talking about audiobooks. For just a few bucks on iTunes I can download classic childrens' stories (Three Little Pigs, Jack and the Beanstalk, Humpty Dumpty, etc.), put them on my iPod, and play them at the start of naptime. Eli enjoys them so much that he now gives an enthusiastic, "OK!" when I tell him it's naptime. Since there are no pictures, it requires laying still and listening hard to get the full story. Did you catch that? It requires laying still. After about 10 minutes he's out cold. No tantrums. No losing my mind. Just a precious little boy fast asleep. It's a beautiful, beautiful thing.
What about you? What's one of your best "tricks" for getting your kids to do something they don't want to do?



4 comments:
That's an awesome idea, EG! I love it. Whatever works, right?!
A. I bet you can name the stories mom used to make up for me. I loved those and it got me to want to go to bed. The adventures of Benjamine and Oliver!!!
B. Take heart (yes Psych theory talking) there is no such thing as a perfect mother or perfect technique. What Psychologists say is ideal is call "Good-enough Mothering". As Christians we call it being human and loving our children the best we know how. Because we are in a broken world and are all broken, everyone comes out with scars...some more noticable than others, but God is the best mom and loves each of us completely. Good find on the audio books...and you should give yourself more credit...you are at least a good-enough mom, and by my observation more.
Well, I hadn't thought about the audio books. We let Carter watch one kid show on our iPhones or play a game for 10 minutes on them. He no longer fights me for bed time. It's wonderful. Glad I'm not the only techno-mom :)
How cleaver! I wish I had known about that when H was 3 and sweetly proclaimed that she was NOW 3 and didn't take naps anymore...ugh!!! She is going to be 11 in less than 2 weeks and would stay in her bed reading books ALL day long now if I didn't get her out...LOVE that!!!
You're an AWESOME mom girl!
Post a Comment